The East End Food Co-op of Pittsburgh, PA is seeking an experienced General Manager to lead our natural food cooperative into the future. We are looking for a GM who has enthusiasm for challenges and projects as well as enthusiasm for success! Qualified candidates will be able to demonstrate a successful experience as a grocery manager with the ability to integrate daily business management practices with visionary thinking to achieve long term goals. Candidates should have outstanding communication skills, the proven ability to lead and motivate others,and the highest integrity.
To lead our cooperative so that it achieves the Ends policies as determined by the Board of Directors within the structure of Policy Governance.
- Follow the Core Values as defined by EEFC's Core Value statement.
- Provide exemplary customer service to both customers and staff.
- Accurately communicate what the Co-op is and the process for becoming a member.
- Familiarity with store layout, products, and services.
- Familiarity and understanding of emergency procedures.
- Stay up to date with current storewide and departmental communications, policies, notices, and logs.
- Abide by Co-op policies as delineated in the Employee Handbook.
- Willingness and ability to learn to meet the changing needs and requirements of the job.
- Train, supervise, and evaluate employees following established policy.
- Hire qualified applicants following established hiring policies.
- Work with HR Manager to ensure that all grievance procedures and disciplinary actions are properly handled and documented following established policy up to and including termination.
- Maintain confidentiality.
- Lead the creation of the annual business plan and budget. Monitor deviations from budget, take action as needed.
- Develop future initiatives and provide analytical expertise as appropriate. Participate in goal setting and development of strategies.
- Develop and motivate employees. Model a superior and professional work ethic by following/upholding policies consistently as outlined in the Employee Handbook and the Manager's Code of Conduct.
- Develop and maintain performance guidelines and standards while creating an environment of accountability.
- Ability to prioritize, manage time appropriately, and be flexible with changing needs.
- Properly document incident reports, emergencies, discrepancies, irregularities, and other issues as needed.
- Based on the calendar schedule, provide quality, on-time Ends and B policy reports to the Board.
- Provide any other documentation to adequately ensure and supplement reports.
- Provide informal information to the Board to help with governance and decision making.
- At GM discretion, provide timely and accurate communications to the Board regarding significant issues.
- Perform other tasks as defined or needed within the limitations of Policy Governance.
Required Skills and Qualifications:
- At least 15 years’ work experience. Experience should include managing a retail food store.
- Bottom-line accountability for a business with minimum annual sales volume of $10+ million.
- Proven ability to develop and implement a strategic vision.
- Personal and professional values that align with co-operative principles.
- Demonstrated ability to follow through on commitments.
- Able to produce quality work within the established deadlines.
- Ability to multitask and keep track of multiple projects at once.
- Flexible schedule with the ability to work some evenings and weekends on-site as needed.
- Strong project oversight and management skills.
- Proven ability developing organizational systems and processes.
- Positive attitude with the ability to develop exceptional working relationships with others.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently as well as within a team.
- Skill in using computers, including spreadsheets, databases and networking tools.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- Ability to present information clearly before an audience, and demonstrated experience with tailoring appropriate information for specific audiences.
- Ability to read financial statements and clear understanding of margin, pricing, and labor costs.
- Understanding of financial statements: what purpose they serve, how they relate to each other, and how they are different.
- Operating, capital and cash budgeting experience
- Open to receiving constructive criticism and ability to listen and accept feedback.
- Track record of holding self and others to high levels of integrity.
Desired Skills and Qualifications:
- Executive-level experience in retail natural foods management or retail food co-op management.
- Knowledge of organic and commercial growing practices and organic certification regulations.
- Experience managing a major remodel or expansion project.
- Experience communicating with and reporting to a board of directors.
- Demonstrated creativity and innovation in business.
- An understanding of the "local food" movement.
- Demonstrated ability to interpret financial statements to lay people. Ability to network and cultivate partnerships with community groups.