Cafe Supervisor - Full Time
To perform and direct all functions relating to supervising the café staff to ensure smooth work flow throughout the Café department. To perform and direct all functions related to management, growth, and development relating to producing high-quality, attractive, healthy Café and Cheese items. To contribute in achieving department goals for sales, margin, labor, and exceptional customer service with a commitment to excellence and continuous improvement.
- Follow the Core Values as defined by EEFC's Core Value statement.
- Provide exemplary customer service to both customers and staff.
- Professional appearance and behavior.
- Accurately communicate what the Co-op is and the process for becoming a member.
- Familiarity with store layout, products, and services.
- Familiarity and understanding of emergency procedures.
- Stay up to date with current storewide and departmental communications, policies, notices, and logs.
- Abide by Co-op policies as delineated in the Employee Handbook.
- Willingness and ability to learn to meet the changing needs and requirements of the job.
- Assist in the hiring, training, evaluating, and development of all department staff members in a manner which builds and sustains a high performing team and minimizes turnover while following established policies.
- Establish and maintain a positive work environment, which encourages an exceptionally high level of staff morale.
- Perform floor monitoring duties.
- Oversee department staff members and direct as needed.
- Work with departmental manager to ensure that all disciplinary actions are properly handled and documented following established policy.
- Maintain confidentiality.
- Ensure that equipment is maintained and troubleshoot breakdowns using established procedures.
- Model a superior and professional work ethic by following/upholding policies consistently as outlined in the Employee Handbook and the Supervisor’s Code of Conduct.
- Make judgment calls as necessary to assure the welfare of customers, the staff, and the store.
- Share customer feedback with appropriate department managers.
- Perform other tasks as assigned by the departmental manager.
Departmental - Supervisor on Duty
- Be familiar with all aspects of work of the Hot Bar, Grab and Go, and Counter in order to achieve streamlined work-flow and consistent supervision throughout the Café.
- Manage breaks and shift schedules in accordance with the labor budget and direct staff as needed.
- Ensure that food quality, quantity, freshness, and presentation meet all Café standards.
- Ensure that cross contamination does not occur either with food allergens from dish to dish or unsanitized objects coming in contact with sanitized surfaces or ready to eat foods.
- Ensure that production is done using correct measuring devices and all recipes are accurately followed.
- Ensure that expired or low-quality items are pulled and the loss is accurately recorded.
- Ensure that Café items in cases and in ingredients bins are effectively maintained to clean, fresh, and full levels.
- Ensure all major allergens in dishes are accurately identified on labels and signage and take immediate appropriate action if corrections need to be made.
- Ensure that displays are attractive, fully stocked, maintained, and accurately rotated throughout shift.
- Ensure that department labeling and signage is maintained, accurate, uniform, and up-to-date.
- Check Café Orders board at the beginning of each shift and ensure that correct prep and production are completed to fulfill orders.
- Take, confirm, edit, and direct Café Orders as needed.
- Accurately and consistently fill out all checklists, logs, and records to ensure good processes.
- Ensure that staff create and update accurate daily production lists.
- Manage and organize effective inventory levels to ensure adequate amounts are on hand to meet business needs while taking steps to minimize waste and loss.
- Place orders to ensure adequate amounts of Café food, packaging, and small equipment supplies.
- Follow proper purchasing and receiving guidelines, procedures, and documentation.
- Review invoices for accuracy, code invoices according to inventory categories, coordinate returns and credits, and pass to finance for payment in a timely manner.
- Ensure that all health and safety protocol are followed according to EEFC policies and health code standards.
- Maintain valid Allegheny Health Department Food Handler’s Certification.
- Ensure that all Weights and Measures procedures and protocol are followed.
- Lead and direct accurate quarterly Café inventory counts as directed by Managers.
- Work with Managers to create, maintain, and update procedures manuals for all Café operations.
- Participate in and/or lead essential departmental meetings. Provide product information to customers, staff, and marketing for newsletter and website.
Departmental – Café and Cheese Operations
- Supervise Café, Cheese, and associated staff to ensure the quality and quantity of daily Café and Cheese production.
- Provide staff training for all functions associated with Café and Cheese activities and production.
- Follow established procedures for pricing Café and Cheese items to meet margin goals.
- Maintain accurate up-to-date records for cost of preparing Café and Cheese products.
- Research and develop new recipes for cookbooks, seasonal promotions, and menu items and stay current with food trends.
- Work with Café Manager to establish sales, margin, and labor goals for the Café and Cheese cases.
- Review departmental financial reports, (sales, labor, margin, turns) and take corrective action as needed.
- Work with Café Manager to plan and execute regular education, cooking, and tasting events.
- Work with Café Manager to plan and maintain regular sampling schedule following storewide sampling program guidelines.
- Work with Café Manager to plan and execute merchandising, highlighting seasonal and holiday themes and events, and working closely with other departments to cross-merchandise.
- Advise Café Manager of scheduling needs with respect to shift coordination and breaks.
- Ensure accurate, up-to-date price, ingredient, and date labeling of all Café and Cheese items in keeping with store branding criteria.
- Maintain and update Café recipes and production batch lists and report any discrepancies or inaccuracies.
Departmental - Maintenance, Sanitation, and Safety
- Maintain work and sales area in a clean, organized, and safe manner throughout the entire shift.
- Follow all health and safety protocol according to EEFC policies and health code standards.
- Follow storage and labeling procedures at all times per EEFC and health department standards.
- Ensure accurate completion of daily cleaning tasks.
- Empty trash, recycling, and compost as needed throughout shift.
- Operate all equipment in a safe and appropriate manner.
- Safely use knives and other equipment following EEFC and café policies.
- Assist with other maintenance tasks as directed by Managers.
Departmental - Other
- Maintain excellent and clear communications with Café and other department staff to assure smooth work flow and operations.
- Maintain confidentiality of all Café recipes.
- Actively engage and assist customers in a prompt, friendly, courteous manner and refer them to other staff when necessary.
Required Skills and Qualifications:
- Ability to successfully master the varied and numerous tasks of the Café department.
- At least 5 years customer service experience.
- At least 3 years supervisory experience including hiring, training, evaluating, and directing.
- Demonstrated leadership potential, including the ability to take lead responsibility for the store.
- Previous experience in a fast paced kitchen, restaurant, or pertinent food industry; focus on hotel, banquet, catering, cheese and/or beverage service a plus.
- Able to execute large batch production recipes.
- Excellent understanding of quality, scratch food production, and fundamental cooking techniques.
- Able to produce quality work within the established deadlines while balancing multiple priorities.
- Must enjoy interacting with and serving the public.
- Must have a friendly and outgoing personality and a positive attitude.
- Ability to perform routine, repetitively tasks accurately and safely.
- Professional appearance and behavior.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently as well as within a team.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- Ability to clearly give instructions and procedures.
- Accuracy and attention to detail.
- Effective time management skills.
- Excellent trouble shooting skills. Logical problem solving skills.
- Conflict resolution skills. Negotiation skills.
- The ability to be reliable for regular scheduled shift work.
- Willingness to work early mornings, evenings, weekends, and holidays.
- Familiarity with natural foods and interest in cooking natural, organic, and vegetarian specialties.
- Ability to learn basic knowledge of all products carried in the department.
- Ability to understand and communicate quality goals and ingredient information to customers.
- Understanding of food allergens and ability to substitute appropriate ingredients.
- Manual dexterity with hazardous equipment.
- Proper handling and use of knives and other cutting equipment.
- The ability to handle and touch all different kinds of food.
- Willingness to taste various products in order to expand knowledge base.
- The ability to work in close quarters in a fast paced environment which may include exposure to noisy, wet, humid, cold, or hot conditions.
- The ability to scoop, chop, and stir food for hours at a time.
- Knowledge and understanding of safe food practices.
- Ability to learn various computer software programs in order to analyze data and complete projects.
- Must have a valid driver’s license, a good driving record, and a vehicle which can be used for work. General mobility requirements include the ability to: stand or walk for several hours at a time; lift up to 50 lbs. on a regular basis and 75 lbs. with assistance using safe lifting techniques; push and pull carts weighing up to 100 pounds; twist, turn, squat, and bend frequently; reach above and below shoulders; do repetitive motions; hand and wrist mobility including the ability to repetitively grasp objects; visually read fine print; visually read a computer screen for long periods of time; climb a ladder.
Desired Skills and Qualifications:
- At least 3 years’ experience with natural cooking and using alternative cooking ingredients.
- Ability to take initiative to improve knowledge base of recipes and skills and stay on top of industry trends.
- Current Health Department Food Handlers Certification.