Produce Clerk - Full Time - Starting Wage $10.50/hr
To stock and display fresh produce while offering prompt, friendly, and helpful customer service. Under the direction of the departmental manager, to meet and exceed department goals for sales, margin, labor, and exceptional customer service with a commitment to excellence and continuous improvement. To contribute to the financial best interest of the store while meeting the Co-op’s Ends.
· Follow the Core Values as defined by EEFC's Core Value statement.
· Provide exemplary customer service to both customers and staff.
· Professional appearance and behavior.
· Accurately communicate what the Co-op is and the process for becoming a member.
· Familiarity with store layout, products, and services.
· Familiarity and understanding of emergency procedures.
· Stay up to date with current storewide and departmental communications, policies, notices, and logs.
· Abide by Co-op policies as delineated in the Employee Handbook.
· Willingness and ability to learn to meet the changing needs and requirements of the job.
II. Departmental – Produce Handling
· Handle produce according to established procedures and food handling safety standards.
· Prepare produce according to established procedures and food handling safety standards.
· Cut fruit and vegetables and package them in keeping with Health Department food handling safety standards.
· Assist with unloading deliveries according to established procedures.
· Ensure that culled produce is directed to proper waste disposal and that the loss is accurately recorded.
· Ensure that fragile products are handled properly.
· Perform other tasks assigned by department supervisors.
III. Departmental – Customer Service
· Assist customers with produce questions and special orders. Offer samples and suggestions for purchase and preparation in friendly, courteous manner.
· Offer customers samples, suggestions for purchase, and ways to prepare produce.
· Participate in in-store product demonstrations and produce sample program.
IV. Departmental – Stocking and Merchandising
· Maintain attractive, fully stocked, and rotated produce displays.
· Display fruits and vegetables to give impression of abundance and quality.
· Rotate and cull displays recording and disposing of low quality produce following established procedures.
· Ensure displays are replenished, rotated, and culled according to established produce process.
· Ensure that department labeling and signage is accurate, uniform, and up-to-date.
V. Departmental – Maintenance, Sanitation, and Safety
· Maintain work and sales area in a clean, organized, and safe manner throughout the entire shift.
· Conduct hourly floor monitoring to prevent hazards and ensure safety and cleanliness.
· Follow all health and safety protocol according to EEFC policies and health code standards.
· Follow storage and labeling procedures at all times per EEFC and health department standards.
· Ensure accurate completion of daily cleaning tasks.
· Empty trash, recycling, and compost as needed throughout shift.
· Operate all equipment in a safe and appropriate manner.
· Safely use knives and other equipment following EEFC and café policies.
· Ensure and maintain department equipment in working order.
· Recommend equipment repair or replacement.
· Follow appropriate safety protocol for stocking.
· Monitor cooler and walk-in temperatures and follow procedures for handling breakdowns.
· Assist with other maintenance tasks as directed by Managers.
Required Skills and Qualifications:
· Must enjoy interacting with and serving the public.
· Must have a friendly and outgoing personality and a positive attitude.
· Retail or other experience serving the public.
· Excellent trouble shooting skills. Logical problem solving skills.
· Good communication skills.
· Accuracy and attention to detail.
· Organized and methodical in action.
· Ability to handle multiple demands and to stay calm.
· Ability to take direction and follow a checklist.
· The ability to be reliable for regular scheduled shift work.
· Willingness to work early mornings, evenings, weekends, and holidays.
· Ability to work with a sense of urgency to meet timelines and goals.
· Ability to learn basic knowledge of all products carried in the department.
· Able to produce quality work within the established deadlines.
· Knowledge of organic, natural foods, and non-GMO products.
· Manual dexterity with hazardous equipment.
· Ability to perform routine, repetitively tasks accurately and safely.
· Proper handling and use of knives and other cutting equipment.
· The ability to handle and touch all different kinds of food.
· Willingness to taste various products in order to expand knowledge base.
· The ability to work in close quarters in a fast paced environment which may include exposure to noisy, wet, humid, cold, or hot conditions.
· General mobility requirements include the ability to: stand or walk for several hours at a time; lift up to 50 lbs. on a regular basis and 75 lbs. with assistance using safe lifting techniques; briefly push and pull carts weighing up to several hundred pounds; twist, turn, squat, and bend frequently; reach above and below shoulders; do repetitive motions; hand and wrist mobility including the ability to repetitively grasp objects; visually read fine print; visually read a computer screen for long periods of time; climb a ladder.
Desired Skills and Qualifications:
· At least 2 years in retail produce.
· Advanced knowledge of organic, natural foods, and non-GMO products.
· Knowledge of organic and commercial growing practices.
· Knowledge of produce preparation.
· Knowledge of produce cultivation and maintenance.