HBC Buyer - Starting Wage $14.50
To select, price, promote and merchandise designated products to meet objectives for sales, margin, inventory turns and to provide prompt, friendly, courteous customer service.
• Follow the Core Values as defined by EEFC's Core Value statement.
• Provide exemplary customer service to both customers and staff.
• Accurately communicate what the Co-op is and the process for becoming a member.
• Familiarity with store layout, products, and services.
• Familiarity and understanding of emergency procedures.
• Stay up to date with current storewide and departmental communications, policies, notices, and logs.
• Abide by Co-op policies as delineated in the Employee Handbook.
• Willingness and ability to learn to meet the changing needs and requirements of the job.
II. Departmental - Purchasing
• With guidance of Grocery Manager, select department product offerings.
• Place orders to ensure regular and adequate supply for specials.
• Optimize stock levels to minimize out-of-stocks while maintaining strong inventory turns.
• Pursue discounts through distributors and sales reps; run specials and monthly member-coupon specials.
• Maintain dynamic product mix by bringing in new items and discontinuing slow sellers. Choose products meeting the criteria established in the East End Food Co-op's Buying Guidelines.
• Evaluate vendors and investigate new sources of supply.
• Receive orders not handled by Stockroom Supervisor following established procedures. Obtain credit from vendors as needed.
• With guidance of Grocery Manager, set prices within guidelines to achieve margin goals.
• Ensure accurate, up-to-date price labels and shelf tags for department items.
• Negotiate with suppliers for favorable price and quality.
III. Departmental - Merchandising
• Plan and maintain attractive, fully stocked, rotated and faced sections. Coordinate stocking priorities with Stockroom Supervisor and HBC Clerks.
• Ensure accurate, uniform, up-to-date department signs.
• Provide product information to customers and staff via the Marketing & Member Services Manager for the Co-operator, Customer Service, and any other marketing materials.
• Provide assistance with special orders and other prompt, friendly, courteous customer service.
• Manage Monthly Co+op Deals promotions:
- Work with Grocery Manager to establish promotions planning
- Work with Grocery Manager to establish preferred promotional items
- Work with POS Coordinator to ensure accurate pricing and data entry on promo items
- Request and maintain promotional signage.
IV. Departmental - Maintenance
• Ensure that department areas (aisles, shelves, bins, and storage areas) are in clean, orderly condition, meeting health department, USDA and PA Department of Agriculture standards.
• Maintain department equipment in good working order. Monitor cooler and freezer temperatures (where applicable) and follow established procedures for handling breakdowns. Advise Grocery Manager of equipment problems or needs.
• Maintain organized, rotated backstock as time permits.
• Obtain credit from vendors where applicable.
• Communicate with accounting department about direct-vendor credit or invoice issues.
• Clean shelves and fixtures as time permits.
• Keep accurate records of shrink and calculate shrink extensions.
• Participate in quarterly inventory counts and calculate inventory extensions.
• Maintain an accessible contact list of department vendors.
Required Skills and Qualifications:
• General mobility requirements include the ability to: stand or sit for several hours at a time; lift up to 50 lbs. alone on a regular basis and 75 lbs. with assistance using safe lifting techniques; twist, turn, squat, and bend; do repetitive motions; visually read fine print; visually read a computer screen for long periods of time; climb a ladder.
• 2-3 years of experience purchasing retail foods.
• 1-2 years of experience in natural foods.
• Thorough knowledge of organic, natural foods, and non-GMO products.
• Able to produce quality work within the established deadlines.
• Retail or other experience serving the public.
• Must enjoy interacting with and serving the public.
• Must have a friendly and outgoing personality and a positive attitude.
• Ability to handle multiple demands and stay calm.
• Accuracy and attention to detail.
• Organized and methodical in action.
• Excellent communication skills.
• Excellent trouble shooting skills. Logical problem solving skills.
• Conflict resolution skills.
• Negotiation skills.
• Moderate proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, Access and internet research skills.
• Familiarity with POS systems.
• Willingness to read industry publications on own time to increase knowledge.
• The ability to be reliable for regular scheduled shift work.
• The ability to work a flexible schedule.
• Willingness to work evenings, weekends, and holidays.
Desired Skills and Qualifications:
• 3-5 years of experience purchasing retail foods.
• 2-4 years of experience in natural foods.
• Experience purchasing natural foods.
• Experience with food cooperatives.
• Advanced knowledge of organic, natural foods, and non-GMO products.
• Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, Access and internet research skills.